Deliciously Healthy Homemade Pizza Recipe
Easy to make pizza recipe from the basics without any processed food, colorants or artificial ingredients. Just like your were in Italy.
Course: Appetizer, Main Course, Snack
- ½ cup / 100ml Lukewarm milk or water
- 4 cup / 500g All purpose flour
- ½ cup / 100ml Water
- 1 pinch Salt
- 7 oz / 200g Cheese of your choicee Mozzarella, Parmesan, Gouda, Edam
- Combine lukewarm milk and yeast in a cup. Leave it for about 5 minutes until it gets foamy.
- In the meantime add the flour, water, olive oil and salt to a big bowl.
- Pour the foamy mixture into the bowl too and knead until all the flour is incorporated, and the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Set the oven to 450°F – 500° / 250°C – 300°C and let it heat whilst the pizza dough is rising and preparing the topping.
- Leave pizza dough in the big bowl, cover it with a clean kitchen towel and set it aside in a warm place whilst you prepare the pizza toppings. In case your kitchen is cold you may want to pop the bowl with the dough into the oven at no more than 100°F / 40°C. Make sure that it isn’t more than that as too high temperature will kill the yeast before it could raise your dough!
- Wash tomatoes, cut in quarters and put them into the food chopper with 4 basil leaves, oregano and a pinch of salt to chop and mix them a bit. (Pizza topping is always tastier if you use fresh basil and oregano.)
- Pour chopped tomatoes into a frying pan and cook about 5 minutes. Stir whilst cooking.
- Grate cheese and get it ready to put on pizza.
- Take pizza dough out of the bowl when you finished preparing toppings, in about 20 minutes.
- Divide it into two pieces with a knife or scraper. Work with one piece of the pizza dough at a time. Form it into a large disk with your hands or a rolling pin and lay it on the baking paper.
- Work from the middle of the dough outwards, using rolling pin or your palm. Stretch the dough until it’s the size of your baking tray. If you like thin crust (as we do) roll a bit more or use your fingers to press the extra dough to the edge and leave it at the side of the tray.
- Spoon half of the sauce into the center of the pizza and spread it out to the edges.
- Pile on any toppings you like. We usually go with the easy 4 cheese topping.
- Slide your pizza into the 450°F – 500°C / 250°C – 300°C preheated oven and bake it about 15 minutes until crust is golden-brown and the cheese looks toasty. If you use a pizza stone then don’t forget to preheat that as well.
- Whilst baking the first pizza repeat the process with the second one.